My First Interview

A couple of days ago, day before yesterday to be precise my college selected me and a couple of other folks to go for an internship at TCS. It was totally out of the blue and pretty cool too, that day was cool as well, I had a good COA paper received my driving license in just 20 days(quite a feat the last one actually) and a lot of good things happened that day. It was a pretty good day.

After completing a couple of errands for my family I was finally able to write my resume last night. (Its alright, shit happens). That was just the beginning. After around 25-30 revisions I finalised one format and final resume was formed (Yay!!). My friend later pointed out that I hadn't given out a declaration in the end saying that the entered information was authentic. (Sigh...) To make matters worse the printouts didn't come out as intended. (Damn you Laserjet 1020) That done I decided not to waste anymore paper (Save the planet and blah blah blah) considering that I had printed about 5 copies like a total idiot.

After all that we had decided to get to Ghatkopar by Metro (its the fastest way) and take a bus/rick from there (Pretty straightforward). After a couple of delays (read lots of rush at Andheri station) we managed to reach Ghatkopar by 10. The bus took its sweet time to come (15 mins). After we got there we had to undergo a lot of security checks.(lots!!) Not to mention it took about 10 minutes by foot to get to the main building. After that we went to the recruiment cell where we saw a massive crowd (just 50 people). The guys there asked us for our CVs. We were happy to give them. Things were going normal till now. But someting was looking weird, we hadn't seen any guys from the college anywhere.

When we handed over our CVs the person asked which department did we apply in accounts or sales. We said none as we had come for an internship interview. The lady asked us to wait for a while. I didn't feel anything going right by now. I opened the email and asked if we had come to the correct office. We hadn't. We needed to another office with a similar name on the same road and in Vikhroli. (It was basically 15 minutes from where we were). Only 10 minutes were left before the interview would start. (WTF!!!) As I write this piece Bhag Bhag DK Bose is playing, seriously even my computer and iTunes know how to tease me now. Coming back to the track. We ran to the main road, where fortunately we found a rick driver who was so law abiding that he never went above 40kmph. To those who think this is fake, guys this shit really happened and it freaked us out a lot, we yelled at that driver so many times.

Finally we reached the destination. After a slew of security checks (slightly less this time) we reached the reception 15 minutes late. We had to wait another 5 for a guy to come and pick us up. TCS offices are pretty secure and you require a key card to go anywhere. Fortunately the washrooms didn't require them. After waiting for a while the other guys came out. Nothing much had happened then just a couple of introductions (good for us). We handed over our resumes and had to wait till other peoples interviews got over. Mine was the last (at 1:15 !!). The interview went pretty well. They asked about what I inteded to do and how would I help to do the project. Seriously thats what they ask in interviews so don't break a sweat over "what to do if I have an Interview ?". That ended in about 5 mins. (Other guys took about 15-20 mins). Maybe the guy there taking the interview was really hungry like me and left me early ;).

Then we went to the local canteen where we had our lunch with the other guys. No one else was gonna go the same way as us and so we went our way. My friend is not good with numbers written in hindi. Thanks to him we left 4 buses. (I too was at fault as I couldn't remember the bus numbers). When we finally caught the bus, we relaised we took the wrong bus. We had to get down halfway to our destination (Read near R-City mall). We decided to take advantage and explore the mall. We roamed the entire mall. We were tired. R-City is one crazy big mall. But it was alright as there was air conditioning in there. In the end we went to Croma and had an hands on with a lot of tech. To those who think of buying S6 Edge it totally sucks. Normal S6 is good enough. We also saw a couple of ultra thin ultra flexible and really expensive underpowered (Intel Core M !!) Lenovo Yoga tablets. After spending an hour our so, we had to leave the fabulous tech heaven and air conditioning. (Sob)

We were lucky to find a share a rick (the only good stuff so far). We reached the station walked all the way to the end just to get on an escalator (which was pretty dumb). In the metro I was happy to get a seat. It was short lived a noisy really active kid was just beside me. I can't say that the ride was comfortable but it was definately better than train or bus or ..... I got down got on a bus reached home and thats all to it... How was the interview.. It was a pretty nice lesson and definately not bad for a first interiew...

Comments

Popular Posts